Friday, June 8, 2012

Lemonade Party Cake

Myself, A and AJ all recently went to a dinner at my parents' home to visit with my mammaw (aka, grandmother) since she was in town from Mississippi. Being the selfless woman that I am (cough, choke, sputter), I volunteered to bring dessert. I like to bring dessert because that means that we get first dibs on bringing home leftovers! Hehe.

I have had the recipe for this lemonade party cake for quite a while and have never gotten the chance to make it. It sounded like a perfect summer dessert so I thought I'd give it a try. It's basically an old fashioned poke cake but instead of using jello you use lemonade. I've had the recipe for so long that I'm honestly not even sure where it came from but it was extremely easy to make and quite tasty too!



Lemonade Party Cake

Ingredients:

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist lemon cake mix
  • water
  • vegetable oil
  • eggs
1 can (6 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed (regular or pink)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 container whipped fluffy white frosting
colored sugar, if desired

- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake cake mix, using water, oil and eggs, as directed on package for a  13x9 pan. Cool 15 minutes.

- Mix lemonade concentrate (I could only find 12 oz cans so I just used half.) and powdered sugar. Using fork or skewer,  poke holes into top of warm cake every 1/2 inch, wiping fork/skewer occasionally to reduce sticking. Drizzle lemonade mixture evenly over top of cake.

- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. Spread frosting over top of cake. Sprinkle with colored sugar is desired. Store loosely covered in fridge.

You can see how the lemonade mixture soaks into the holes poked into the cake.


This cake was really really good, however, it is extremely sweet. For me it was little too sweet with the frosting so I think I will make it again and instead of frosting I will dust it with powered sugar.  It might also be good topped with whipped cream instead of frosting!

If you try this recipe, please let me know how yours turns out!

1 comment:

  1. It was DELISH! Lovvveedd it! Thanks for bringing it Saster!

    ReplyDelete