"A" bought our current home while we were still dating and he has done a lot of work on it. After we were married and I moved in we continued to update here and there. We have a loooong list of projects we want to do to the house to "make it our own". Since we were very happy here (only 5 minutes or so from both of our families, "A" practically has no commute for work, within 30 minutes of almost anything we could need to get to, etc.) and weren't planning on moving anytime soon we have just been ticking off our little checklist at a nice leisurely pace. Thiiiiings have now changed and our pace is now what you might call...frenzied.
I have to admit that I loathe home improvement projects. In my experience they never go smoothly. A seemingly simple project, like painting one small accent wall for example, can spiral out of control and turn into a week long project from you know where. Do you see where I'm going with this?
We have a tall wall in our dinning room that my husband, or his mom and aunt, painted a dark red when he bought the house. It's not a bad color but several months ago I found a navy color that I just fell in love. We decided that we'd go ahead and paint the wall since we are going to put up crown molding and it would be easier to paint first. I know the painting wasn't a priority but it's just one wall right and if we don't end up moving then I'll have my navy wall that I've wanted so much! Well we painted the wall and it ended up taking two coats but hey whatever, it was painted and the color looked great!
|The only picture I could find with the red wall in it. |
Not a bad color but I wasn't crazy about it.
Later that night as I was admiring my new navy wall I noticed some bubbles in the wall. You see, when the wall was painted red, it was painted over existing wallpaper. Dun, dun, duuuuun. So yes, the two layers of red and the added two layers of navy were just too much for the wallpaper and it began bubbling up. So I ended up pulling down all the wallpaper which ended up ripping some of the paper backing off the drywall which then had to be sealed and then retexutred. So several days later we finished the retexturing, or so we thought. As we were cleaning up we noticed that the texture was bubbling up!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! We had to excise the bubbled spots, then seal those areas for the billionth time, wait for it to dry 24 hours, the spackle, let that dry, then texture over the spackle and pray you couldn't tell they were patch jobs! Now I just need to prime and paint and hopefully that will be the end of this "simple little painting project".
|Ready to prime and paint. (Hopefully!)|
All of this post is really just to say that I'm sorry for not posting anything in such a long time. My house and my life , to some extent, have been thrown into a bit of chaos here lately. I hope to have another post in a few days but if it takes a little while I'm sorry and I hope you will understand why. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. (Think of me while you're doing fun things. I'll be painting. Sigh.)
|Dinning room contents shoved into living room. |
(Yes, that's laundry on the couch waiting to be ironed and folded.)